Have you ever wanted the look of a flocked Christmas tree but not want to have the mess? I do have flocked trees but they cause such a big mess. It was time for me to learn how to flock a Christmas tree doing it myself. I saw a friend on Instagram last year do this. After a year of waiting…and finding out the tree held up well I decided to do it myself. Who doesn’t want a DIY Flocked Christmas Tree?
After researching and reading as much as I could I decided to just get to it and do it myself. At first I was really scared, but my friend told me to be sure not flock your Christmas Tree inside. Or you may have chalk paint all over your house from spraying it. In the end it was super easy. Keep reading below to see how I did it.
For an Update Scroll to the bottom of the Post!
There may be affiliate links in this post. Please read my policy on affiliate links (here) if you want.
how to flock an artificial christmas tree
- Squirt Bottles (I found I liked the $3 dollar general brand bottle) or these [HERE]
- Chalk paint (find homemade recipe here)
- Mix 1 cup chalk paint with 1/4-1/2 cup of water (you want it liquid enough to squirt out of the squirt bottle)
- Pour mixture (which do you like: fake snow spray, flocking spray, or snow spray) into the squirt bottle
- Take tree outside in pieces and then put it together
- Start spraying the snow spray on the Christmas Tree
I did 3 coats and waited 15-30 mins in between coats. You can check my Instagram DIY Christmas highlights on my page to see my video.
Happy Chalk Flocking! And be sure to let me know if you give it a try!https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9629.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9630.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9631.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9633.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9634.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9638.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9640.mov https://tribeofburton.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/img_9641.mov
Update: After having our DIY Flocked Christmas Tree up through the Christmas season I am happy to report it did great. Even packing it up the flocked chalk painted tree didn’t get everywhere like our store bought flocked trees. We pulled the DIY Flocked Tree out this year and it was perfect. The paint stayed in place and it was our least messy tree in the house. The husband likes that it doesn’t shed flocking spray everywhere like the other fake Christmas trees.
I am happy to report I had 6 people reach out to me to ask more questions about how to flock a tree. After answering their questions, they reported back that they flocked their tree themselves and they turned out great.
Diy Flocked Tree Questions
- Is it flocking a tree messy? Yes, it is. Go outside.
- Have you ever used snoflock or flock in a box? No, I have no clue what those things are.
- Does the flocking make a mess? No, once it’s fully dried there was no mess. The kids could touch the tree and the flocking stayed in place.
buy a flocked Christmas tree
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and until the next holiday season! Cheers!